Is she? Let’s see…
Rosewood at Night
- A skateboarder in a hoodie is being chased by someone driving an SUV…who turns out to be Toby. Upon reaching the sidewalk, it seemed like the skateboarder (Lucas?) knew he was being chased down.
- In Hanna’s room, she wakes up in the middle of the night because Mona is staring at her. (Creepy) Mona asks Hanna, “Is this a bad time?” (LOL) Mona pretends to be worried about going to school the next day and pleads for Hanna’s help. She tells Hanna that her parents are forcing her to go back to school. Grandma calls out to Hanna and Hanna tells her she’s alone, apparently believing Mona. (Sigh)
Next Day at the Fields’ Home
- Em’s Dad is back home having an alarm system installed at the house. He tells Em that Hilary Reynolds, Garrett’s mom, called him and he will be attending the Community Meeting to support her.
- Em is also on house arrest and not allowed to go on the Marathon despite her pledges.
At The Brew
- Aria & Spencer discuss Mona, Maya, and Garrett. Spencer thinks that Mona is the “keeper of secrets” and maybe their key to finding out more. 2 of the NAT Club members are dead. Are there more videos to uncover?
- Then, the two talk about Byron. Spencer asks Aria if she has asked him about the information they got from Garrett.
- Mona left muffins for Hanna. (Bribe much?)
- Grandma prepared a large breakfast for Hanna but Hanna refuses to eat. Grandma realizes who Mona is and starts telling a story about cousin Heshy and change. She tells Hanna that if she were Mona, she would also fight for Hanna’s friendship.
- The liars are aware that Em is on house arrest. They meet in front of the school. Aria is still angry about Byron—and lashes out on her friends, becoming increasingly defensive. As she (Aria) walks up the stairs, Mona tries to greet her but gives her a callous look.
- Emily talks to Aria about Byron and tells her that they are not accusing him of anything. Aria then tells Em that she hasn’t said anything to Ezra about his son.
- They find out that their new American History teacher is Meredith. Aria is using her phone to text during class and Meredith calls her attention. She takes Aria’s phone so she doesn’t get distracted. (Well, I would get pissed too if I were Meredith)
- After class, she asks to speak with Aria but the rest of the liars stay. She explains to them that she has a job to do and if they want to graduate, they do too. (Meredith tries to appear very professional)
- Hanna rushes to Mona as they walk towards their lockers. Mona “freaks out” when she sees a cow’s brain stabbed to the inside of her locker door.
She takes the knife and brain and awkwardly throws it in the trash. The students and Jason are watching. (Why is he just watching with that weird look on his face?) As Mona walks back, she whispers something to Lucas that makes him slightly whimper.
- Hanna approaches Lucas and asks him what Mona told him. He walks away in a limp.
- In the LGR, the liars discuss what just happened. They are worried that they will be the main suspects. Again. They are starting to feel sorry for Mona. Mona walks in the LGR. (Why do I get the feeling that Mona planned all this?) Em verifies with Mona that she doesn’t think the liars had anything to do with this. Mona says no, reminding them that she helped them figure out who killed Maya. She knows that she still needs to earn their trust and she will.
- Hanna goes to Caleb by the benches, saying that they weren’t really fooling anyone. Then, she starts talking about Mona and Lucas. She mentions the Halloween Train, and Aria stabbing someone. And wonders, why Lucas is limping. She asks Caleb to try and find out more.
- Em is on the phone with her dead. Parents are extremely worried about her safety. While on the phone, she notices Mona talking to the janitor who seems to have a very familiar face. He’s the same guy from The Lost Woods Resort (Really? And whyyy use someone they can clearly remember?)
- Toby and Spencer are having lunch together. He lies about his whereabouts last night. Spencer asks Toby if he things Jenna transferred because of fear for her safety since she is part of NAT. Then, she gets annoyed after witnessing Mona getting a hug from Jason.
- Hanna and Emily are talking about creepy Harold from The Lost Woods Resort. They are in the school basement looking into his office. He is writing something in a notebook/journal. They spot a mask and Mona’s stuff by his table.
- Ezra gives Aria token for goodluck—for when she runs at the marathon. Aria uneasily takes it, obviously still thinking about the child. She gets a text from Hanna who tells her about Harold and to meet them at The Brew. Aria lies and tells Ezra that she needs to go meet her mom. (Why the need to lie here.) She steps outside and notices a balloon attached to a gift basket. (Yay! It’s a Boy!)
Outside the Hastings
- Toby and Spencer arrive from a run. They see Jason unloading stuff from his car. Spencer approaches Jason and warns him about Mona. He doesn’t bite.
- Em, Hanna, Aria meet and talk about Mona and Harold. Hanna is trying to reason out but the two are convinced that it’s too much of a coincidence. Caleb arrives and tells them that Lucas isn’t talking. He hands them a copy of the transcript of a meeting with the Principal and Mona’s parents. On Page 2, it clearly shows that Mona’s parents didn’t want her there contrary to what she told Hanna. Mona was the one who insisted that she went back to Rosewood. Aria s furious. For some reason, they bring the conversation back to Fitz and they argue.
- Spencer is stewing about Jason. Toby appears calm. It feels like someone is watching them. Then, they hear something behind the bushes. Toby ignores it. Spencer straightens up. Toby tells her to relax but they hear more leaves rustling. Spencer goes inside while Toby looks annoyed.
- Byron knocks on Aria’s door. He asks her about school, knowing that Meredith is teaching there. Meredith gave “good” feedback to Byron saying that the liars were “cautiously welcoming”.
- Aria then asks Byron if he liked Alison. He hesitates and says that he likes all her friends. Ella classified Alison as being “entitled”. Aria asked if Byron spent any time with Alison. Understandably, an unexpected question, Byron tries to hide a reaction. (Curiosity? Fear?) He tells Aria that she must really still miss her. He leaves the room but quietly peeks back.
- Hanna and Grandma are watching a video of Mona talking about her highschool experiences. Deviously, she sent it to everyone in Rosewood High.
- Lucas arrives and hands an envelope for Caleb. It supposedly contains the money he owed Caleb. Hanna asks him about his leg and he tells her he had an accident skateboarding (Ha!). Hanna asks Lucas about Mona and he tells her that Mona has been back sooner than everyone thinks. (Mmmhmm) Although he claims he hasn’t spoken to her in months, he tells Hanna that Mona has been “staking out before the granted doctor’s permission. Hanna tells Lucas that she misses him, and he misses her too.
At the Marathon
- Caleb and Aria are at the “water booth” stacking more bottles for the participants. They spot Mona and notice that people are welcoming her back, sympathizing. (Hmmm)
- Hanna and Grandma arrive, greeting Spencer.
- Aria asks Caleb about his dad and he gives her his point of view. He was looking for him when he was younger and eventually gave up. But, he also admits that he does wonder about him still.
- Grandma interrupts the Marathon emcee and starts singing the National Anthem (Yikes).
- The liars are huddled together discussing a plan. Em is not there though.
- Hanna tells them that she thinks Mona was at the Halloween Train.
- The Emcee finally interrupts and fires the Mara Gun!
- Em, stuck at home, devices a plan to escape by swapping her phone with her dad’s. Her dad leaves and she disarms the alarm system. (Mrrrp. Really? The dad would have used his phone to re-arm when he leaves. He would’ve noticed the swap.) Em leaves through the bedroom window.
- (So I guess the run is over becauseà) The liars are in the school basement searching for stuff in Harold’s office. They found the “book” – what seemed he was writing on earlier. Only that, Spencer says it’s actually Ali’s diary.
- The liars open to read the diary. And while this is happening, the scene changes to Mona who suspiciously watches the other people manning the booths.
- Back to the basement. As the liars read, they flashback to when Ali was at Byron’s office. They find out that Ali has been blackmailing Byron but he has refused to pay her because Ella will be suspicious. Ali says that he has time to figure out since she was about to leave town and visit her Grandma, back labor day weekend.
- We discover Aria reading the book, wide-eyed. They want to take the book with them but know that Harold will figure out that it’s missing. Instead, Aria tears out a page (or two) and they all run out. Unfortunately, Harold sees them but they all run out quickly except for Aria. Harold notices the paper in her hand and tries to snatch it. She snatches it back. Toby appears, asking what’s going on. But based on their reactions, Harold and Toby probably know eachother. The liars and Toby head out.
- Outside, Spencer asks Toby how he found them and he gives a lousy explanation but she easily dismisses it.
- Then, we all hear an explosion. FIRE. In Rosewood High.
- Em is home. Her dad is on the phone with the principal. When the call ends, he tells Em that Meredith was hurt from the accident.
- Her dad reaches out and tries to talk to her, to understand what is happening to them. (Good to know that there is at least one normal parent in Rosewood)
- Hanna is rewatching Mona’s video and her Grandma calls after her.
- Byron tells Aria that he asked Meredith to stay at their house, because of what happened. Meredith thought it wasn’t a good idea and eventually told Byron was really happened during class. Byron shows Aria a note Meredith found on her clipboard.
- Byron accuses Aria and her friends for being responsible for the fire. Meredith also thinks they did it. Of course, despite Aria telling him they had nothing to do with it, he sides with his manipulative girlfriend. (Excellent parenting, this one)
- Aria, retorts and reminds Byron of his secrets and takes it back.
- Jason is sitting by the porch when Spencer approaches him. She tells him about the fire and that Mona left unscathed. Jason hints that he is listening this time. Spencer leaves as she gets a call from Aria, telling her that A set them up. Possibly, Mona. Byron is listening to Aria. Jason is listening in Spencer’s conversation as well.
- After Spencer leaves, Mona comes out of Jason’s front door with a bandage. He helps her cover his WOUND that looks suspiciously like a screwdriver puncture! (Crud) And Jason appears to be enamored, if not on Mona’s side. (Double Crud)
- Hoodie-A loosens the gears of a bicycle that belongs to a teacher. Expectedly, the teacher gets into an accident.
(So, this is their plan. To get the teachers they don’t want out, and the ones they want in Rosewood. Does this mean that Meredith is on the A Team? Who’s coming next, Jackie?)
- About Mona going back to school. I really have huge issues with this. For one thing, she has tried to not only torture people, but kill them. They think that locking her up for 3 months will turn her into a good person right away? Seriously. And what do they think to prevent more crimes from happening? Trust the douche-bag incompetent police? The parents should’ve done something about her return.
- Episode has too many loose clues, which I fear is intentional and meant for a bigger bang later in the finale.
- The one thing that bothers me is that this episode also had so many incidents that seemed improbable. Hopefully we’ll find explanations in the next ones. But, please, I hope the writers actually research how certain technologies are used.