In an interview with the writers, they mentioned that the person who dies in the episode is someone who is least expected. My New Mantra: Think Opposite. My Least Expected: Toby. My Most Expected: Garrett (based on Episode 12, and the webisodes). So, yes. my Most Expected gets my vote. (Update After Rewatching: Always trust your gut instinct.)
Let’s begin. Trick or Treat?
- The scene opens with Mona singing, “The Teddy Bear’s Picnic” song as she paints her papier-mâché head. Blood red paint drips on her shoes. A hooded figure is in the room, behind her, listens as she talks about how she loves Halloween. She stands up and hands over bullets and medication. (Of course, after Episode 12, we would presume that this is Toby. But a few questions: Why doesn’t Toby speak when he is with Mona? Why don’t they show this A’s face to confirm that this is Toby?)
- The liars are talking about their Halloween costumes for tonight’s Ghost Train. Em sees this as an opportunity for “symbols & ceremonies”, as suggested by Spencer. Aka, closure, kind of. Aria asks Hanna about Caleb, and Hanna tells them that he’s getting better. Aside from being worried that they might be all wearing the same costume (highly, unlikely), she tells them about her mom and Pastor Ted. They will be at the Marin house handing out candy to the trick/treaters.
- Across where they are, they see a house decorated with coffins and tombstones. One in particular says A. DiLaurentis. They are all astonished and angry at the insensitivity of the spread. Spencer calls out that it is Clifford Yerdley’s house.
- Em angrily storms towards the coffin and is surprised by CY. He jumps out of the coffin, dressed as Alison and scares them. The jerk runs back into his house and lets the liars walk away. After they are gone, he goes back into the coffin.
- Spencer is startled when she sees Garrett in the house. He is placing a card on top of the flowers he left for Veronica Hastings. Garrett tells Spence that he is also there to talk to her—to keep his promise. He promised to tell her everything he knew. Toby arrives and asks him to leave. There’s definitely some tension in the room. Spencer tells Garrett, “Later”, wherein he responds with “Don’t wait too long.” (Ok. So I guess at this point we are just waiting for when it will happen. This seems to be much of a goodbye scene.)
- When Garrett leaves, Toby pulls on his “alpha male” persona teasing Spencer. They hug, and he has a weird look on his face.
- So Hanna has been using the dentist as an excuse to meet Caleb. (Seriously, and no one has caught on yet?). In the storage closet, Caleb & Hanna are making out, and making a mess. They talk about A and hiding. Caleb mentions the Ghost Train, not being there (but we already know from the previews that he will be).
- Aria is tries out her necklace and returns it in the bag when Ezra arrives. He tells Aria that he can’t go to the train because he is meeting someone in Philly about Ghosting (how apropos) an autobiography—of someone worth writing about this time. Knock, knock. Trick or Treat? Early Birds. Yes, it is the night of the living preschoolers. As Aria grabs the candy and answers the door, Ezra looks…uneasy.
- Photos upon entry to the brew are taken by Lucas, who is dressed as a ‘vintage’ Press photographer. The PA system announces that the shuttle for the Ghost Train leaves in 5 minutes.
- Hanna walks in wearing her Marilyn Monroe costume. Lucas snaps a photo. Hanna complains that she is “incognito” (LOL), but he responds by saying that she looks beautiful (and stares at her longingly).
- Aria, dressed up as Daisy from The Great Gatsby, checks her hair using her compact.
- Hanna and Aria find eachother. Compliments are in order. Hanna asks Aria who she is dressed as, and where Ezra is. Aria tells her that he had to cancel. Hanna is glad that she’s not the only one without a date.
- Noel and Jenna “greet” and start taunting at them. Hanna mentions the yearly Kahn Halloween Party. Noel says that this year he let someone else do the work. (Is that a clue?) Then, he kisses Jenna. H&A turn around and catches sight of the creepy masked baby costume. The “costume” sits down.
- Film Noir Spoby arrives. (Toby is definitely enjoying his ‘bad boy’ persona)
- Spencer approaches Hanna and Aria, and asks how Hanna could possibly think that they would wear the same outfit? Aria asks about Garrett but Spencer hasn’t heard from him. Plus, his phone has been disconnected.
- Noel starts commenting about the food, chews something and starts to choke. Toby and Spencer try to help him only to realize that it was all a prank. (Too bad) Toby looks extra annoyed.
- Emily as Barbarella and Paige as Marlene Dietrich arrive. Then, Jason enters. (I’m still trying to figure out if Jason was indeed dressed as Michael Jackson that night.) The liars wonder when he exactly got back. Spencer approaches him and then backs out. Everyone now heads over to where the shuttles are.
- Trick or Treat?! Ashley answers the door wearing her sexy nurse costume. (I’m really not sure if she should be answering the door in those lol). She calls for Ted, wearing his doctor outfit. He comes out with tricks and treats for the kiddos.
- All aboard! The liars are front and center as they move towards the Performance Car. Hanna complains about the lighting as the band starts to play their music. Then, here we go – Adam Lambert dressed as a liberace-esque vampire starts to sing. The band is fabulous and the peeps are having a Cuckoo fun time.
- Meanwhile, back in Radley, we find out that MonA escapes using her papier-mâché head as a decoy
- Everyone is still dancing while AL performs. Creepy Baby Costume watches from the back. The Phantom makes his way behind her, and, we can only presume that he actually squeezes her arse. (LOL) He walks out.
- In another cart, Toby is grabbing some refreshments when Jenna asks him to hand him one. (It’s been a while since these two were in a scene together.) She asks him about her costume. He responds that she looks nice but liked her a lot better “like this” – and moves his hand over her eye. (That was mean and funny at the same time.) Obviously, Jenna isn’t too happy.
- Spencer walks over to the refreshment cart. Jason asks if she was following him. (Duh) She asks when he got back and if he’s ok. Jason replies with, “Better, Yeah.” He tells her that he was going to come by and see her this afternoon but she had company (Garrett). Then, Jason sees Lucas—they seem to be expecting to see each other. Lucas goes to the next cart, and Jason follows him. (Toby saw that!)
- AL performs another song. (While I think the liars dancing is really cute, I can’t help but notice that Aria is moving like an old lady. Hmmm.)
- Ted and Ashley are still giving out treats. Ashley heads over to the kitchen and she sees a ghostly kid that looks exactly like the #twin in The First Secret. She speaks in a creepy whispering voice. She asks if she can call her mom. (So, Ashley didn’t recognize her?)
- Hanna goes outside to get some fresh air and The Phantom follows her. She appears to be annoyed until she realizes that The Phantom is Caleb. Kiss, kiss.
- Aria is sitting by herself, sipping her drink. AL walks by and talks to her. (Apparently, he’s a fan of the show.) They chat a bit. He asks her for her name but it’s too loud to hear so she traces it on the fog frosted window. ARIA. AL says he has another set and asks her to go watch. The Creepy Jester is watching her, and opens his/her poison ring (The Jester has man-hands so I’m not sure if this is a woman) and reveals some powder that we know will be poured into her glass while Aria is looking away. Ding!
- Em and Paige are hiding in a privy car. Having a moment. But we know that some things are just too good to be true. Especially when a short hooded person is watching you.
- Spencer walks out of one of the cars and hears humming. Humming of the Teddy Bear’s Picnic song. (Yep, you guessed right. Mona is here.) She turns to look and is suddenly surprised when the Creepy Baby Costume drags her and covers her mouth. Spencer is freaking out.
- The mask is off. Garrett. Garrett explains that he had been trying to protect Spencer (because of Melissa?). He mentions a game and the mistakes and mess he got in. Here we go. Garrett tells Spence that he’s telling her everything and then he’s gone. He doesn’t want to be contacted. (Yup, he’s going.)
- Garrett tells Spencer about the scene they saw on the video. He says he took Jenna downstairs so Melissa can go talk to Ian. Garrett took Jenna behind the DiLaurentis house. Where the ground was dug up. Jenna tells Garrett that they shouldn’t have left those two together because they can’t be trusted. Garrett says that there’s nothing they could do to them without screwing them up for themselves. Ali comes and taunts at Jenna. Jenna fights back using a hockey stick. Garrett grabs the hockey stick and is aiming at Ali. But Ali looks like she knew it was coming. Garrett aims for the tree twice and Ali drops. Jenna asks if she’s dead. Ali motions with a finger on her lip. Hush, hush. Garrett tells Jenna that he took care of it. It was obviously planned. He drags Jenna away. Ali reaches for the hockey stick.
- Garrett tells Spencer that he didn’t kill Alison but Jenna thinks he did.
- He continues with the story. He went back and witnesses Ali talking to Byron, telling him that if he can’t pay for his mistakes, how can he become a better person? Byron responds by saying, “You say all of these grown-up things, but you’re still a child.” Ali replies, “Don’t kid youself. You know what I’m capable of.” (With that, we know that they have some sort of history.)
- Spencer thinks Garrett is lying, asking him why he didn’t tell anyone. Garrett said he was prepared to say something but VH had him cleared. After all that, he left. Spencer says she’s going to get Aria and wants Garrett to tell her. Spencer asks him to stay put and he responds with “where do I have to go?”.
- In the refreshment cart, Hanna and Caleb are waving at each other. Spencer asks Hanna is she has seen Aria. They go looking for Aria and see her bag. They see her traced name blotted out, leaving only A to see. (Really, no one noticed anyone dragging Aria out of there?) Text: Guess who’s not going to make it to the end of the line? –A.
- Aria is trapped in a crate, mouth ducktaped.
- Em is looking for her. Spencer and Hanna cannot find her either. Spencer tells them what Garrett told her—about Byron. And they’re not sure if they should believe him. They are going to keep looking for Aria. No one can leave the train while it’s moving. Em says she needs to find Paige and Toby. Hanna mentions that Caleb is there too. Hanna needs to warn him too.
- Aria is struggling in the crate which causes it to topple over.
- Hanna finds The Phantom and pulls him aside. She tells him that Garrett’s on the train and they can’t find Aria. He starts caressing her and the movement is creepy. She then notices that Caleb is across the room. She removes the mask and finds a secondary mask (the same mask Cece was holding). The person also has blonde hair—possibly a wig. This person is too tall to be Mona, and is definitely a decoy. The fake Phanton finally lets go of her and runs. (Based on height, who do you think that was? Definitely male because of the Adam’s apple)
- Ashley asks Ted about the little blonde kid who wanted to call home. Ashley heads upstairs and hears clattering in Hanna’s room. The kid is there. Ashley asks her if she called. The little girl answers in a whispering voice that she called her mom but when she asked her to come and get her, her mom cried. She is asking why her mom is upset at her. Ashley says she might have dialed the wrong number. The little girl tells Ashley that her sister ( #twin theory )told their mom that she run away—that she always tells lies and gets her in trouble. She says they’re sisters but they fight all the time over everything, even their dolls. She says she thinks her sister just likes to fight. She then asks Ashley if she thinks her sister said something bad about her. Ashley feels bad for her and touches her hand. She gasps at how cold she feels. She reaches for a blanket and puts it over her. She tells the little girl to wait for her and she walks down.
- She asks Ted to come up but as they enter the room, the little girl is gone and the blanket is folded neatly. Except for the mark where she sat, everything is in place. (Definitely a ghost appearance by Ali.)
- Back in the train, Spencer is walking past the cars when she sees Garrett’s mask on the floor. As she enters the next car, the Jester grabs and tries to strangle her. Spence pushes the Jester back and runs away. The Jester runs after her and keeps trying to strangle her. Paige grabs the Jester and they struggle but the Jester gets away. Paige finds a piece of the Jester’s nail on Spencer’s hair.
- Aria is still trapped in the crate. She is finally able to get rid of the duck tape. As she tries to free herself, she sees Garrett’s corpse right next to her. She finds a nail in the crate and uses it to remove the ties around her hand.
- Hanna is with Spencer now. They talk about Paige knowing everything. Spence asks about the guys. Toby and Caleb are in the front working their way back looking for Aria. (So, the Jester is not Toby. Who’s left? Ezra, Jason, Noel, Lucas—prolly not, Eric, Byron) Spencer and Hanna also realize that “they” knew Haleb was sneaking around the whole time. (This time they refer to them as “they”. If no ‘surveillance’ was made, it is possible that Caleb is also part of the A Team unless Spencer told Toby about them.) Then, they talk about Garrett.
- Spencer takes out the nail and shows it to Hanna. They think the nail is too big for a girl—so Spencer thinks it’s not for a girl. Em and Paige walk in. Spencer, Emily, and Hanna will go back to where Spence last saw Garrett while Paige will meet up with Caleb and Toby. Spencer thanks Paige.
- Aria is still struggling to get out. The crate starts to shift.
- Paige walks over to the front and runs into Jenna. Jenna says they need to keep track of people around here. (Clue? Where is Noel? Was she a decoy?) Jenna notices Lucas’ camera sitting by the table nearby. She looks a bit worried.
- The crate is being moved. Whispering. “Lied to me. Can’t do this!” (It sounded more like Noel, than Lucas.)
- Spencer, Emily, and Hanna keep searching. Dead End. Em finds Aria’s necklace. Hanna grabs the fire hydrant and tries to break the door/glass.
- Aria is almost free but still in the crate. Two indistinct people are arguing whether to push. The female voice sounds like Mona, telling the other person to “Push, Damn It!” While the male voice whispers, “No! I can’t!” Mona says, “Shut up! Come back here!” Aria’s hands are free and she bangs through the crate. She finds a screwdriver. Mona says, “Push!” As the male “A” gets closer, Aria stabs him with the screwdriver and he groans. We hear footsteps running while the crate balances unevenly in the car. Aria is screaming. The liars see her just in time and pull the crate back. They open the crate and get her out. Then, they see a dead Garrett covered in what seemed like a cape in the crate. (So whoever impersonated Caleb was the one who Mona was with when she was pushing the crate.)
- Ashley is pouring wine as the trick/treat night is over. Ted asks her if Ashley recognizes the child. Ashley says she doesn’t and she’s wondering how she got passed them and out of the house if she was in Hanna’s bedroom. She feels like it might have been a ghost. She felt so cold. Ted doesn’t believe in ghosts. He’s not supposed to, he says.
- They are in the refreshment car with the cops. Toby tells Spencer that the trooper is calling their parents. That they are taking statements before they get home. He asks if she’s ok. Aria walks in and everyone asks how she is doing.
- The liars are talking about Garrett. And A killing Garrett. They realized that A pushed them to get Garrett cleared so that A could kill him. Two members of the NAT club, dead. Two people who were in that room the night Ali was killed.
- Ezra walks in and hugs Aria. Ezra says that he waited at the end of the line to surprise her but he was told that someone got hurt so he drove beside the tracks until he found her.
- Noel tells the liars that they should tell the cops who did it so they can go. He is furious and tells them to stop pulling everyone else into their mess. Toby stops him and they get into a squabble that knocks out the table of drinks, revealing a body bag. Surprise, surprise. Jason is also in the room. Lucas snaps a photo.
- Mona is back in her room as the nurse checks in on her. The mask is under her bed.
Flashback to the dug up part of the DiLaurentis House
- A right-hand with a bracelet comes out of the backyard. Someone was buried alive.
- If that was Lucas with Mona, pushing the crate, does that mean that Jason might know something about that too?
- Strangely, I feel like the person refusing to help Mona push the crate was Noel. He might have been the fake Phantom too but he didn’t look injured when Toby was fighting with him.
- The ghostly kid looks more like Cece than Ali. There must be a tie-in here somewhere. So, why Ashley? Why not the other parents?
- Despite the four times I’ve watched this episode, I can’t help but wonder about certain character.
- Next, time to dissect the scenes and clues!