Finally, here is our recap for the summer finale. It took 4 rewatches. Every rewatch felt like the first, leaving us exhausted and worried in the end.
The events below are recalled in chronological order. Notes are inline. Note To Self: NTS.
- The episode opens with ambulances at a crime scene. Aria, Hanna, and Spencer are together behind the crime scene tape. Hanna is bawling.
- A stretcher with an injured person is wheeled into an ambulance. As soon as the doors close, the ambulance drives away.
- A second stretcher with a body bag is loaded into an ambulance, which also drives off.
- A very much frazzled Emily is being interviewed by a cop, asking if the deceased was a friend of hers. Em is distracted, and distressed as she looks over to where her friends are. She replies to the cop: Yes.
Two Days Earlier Was When The Truth Started To Unfold
- Spencer, Hanna, Aria are watching the news regarding Jury Selection for Garrett’s case. VH is being interviewed. (Their outfits seem to standout. It reminds us that they are dressed for a finale.)
- Aria tells them that Em is taking a while to arrive because of the reporters hounding everyone. Then, they start discussing Em’s “intervention”. They told Em that they are meeting because they would like to apologize to her. Hanna starts quoting Wren again: In a successful intervention the loved one feels safe and not judged.
- The liars “prepare” and practice what they are going to tell Em. About Paige. And the Earring. Spencer mentions Basic Instinct (NTS: Keep in mind for possible future reference.) During their practice conversation, they mention that they think that A is still working with Mona. (Mmmhmm)
- Emily arrives. We find out that Aria conned her into coming (obviously, the best liar). They start and Em is angry. She looks at Aria, “When did it become so easy for you to lie to your friends?” They show her the earring and she reminds them that they find a lot of things where A puts them. “Three against one, A wins.” Em leaves. (This scene reminds me of when they were pretending to fight with Emily so they can corner A.)
- Spence seems to be more determined that Paige is A.
School, By The Bench
- Aria is sitting contemplating when Hanna arrives.
- Hanna tells her that Em missed first period and that she has been trying to reach Emily. Non-stop.
- Aria tells Hanna that Em was right about her calling her out about her lying. She said she’s the one who needs an intervention. (You think?)
- Hanna senses that something else is going on and asks. Aria tells her about Maggie. What she has found out. And that she hasn’t said anything to Ezra. Maggie was supposed to have an abortion but kept the baby instead. Aria mentions that Ezra called Maggie but Maggie did not mention their son. Aria is worried. Hanna reminds her of what Ali told them…about secrets keeping them together. It actually tears them apart.
School, By The Lockers
- Spencer walks towards her locker and notices Paige.
- Paige, seeing Spencer look at her, confronts the liar. They starts having an exchange of words and Paige starts to show a more violent/threatening side.
- After Paige leaves, you see Spencer’s hands shake in anger.
- Pailey are cuddling. Em is completely on Paige’s side. She says the liars think they know Paige but they don’t.
- They both start talking about A. Paige referring to Mona. Em makes her promise not to tell anyone before she gives more information. Em tells her that they think there’s someone else helping Mona, and tells her how it relates to That Night. Paige then realizes that the liars think it’s her.
- Paige suddenly gets a text: 10PM Saturday Rosewood Cemetery ************** hurt. –A. (Why is it partially covered?)
- Paige tells Em that she needs to attend to something else but promises to go with her to the trial starting Monday.
- Spencer is still trying to reach Emily. Aria is with her. Hanna arrives and tells them that things have gone from “worse” to “worser”. (LOL, her goofy lines are back! Yay!) Paige has missed classes too and they presume that they are probably together. Aria wants to tell the cops. They are very worried. Spencer suggests to tell their parents instead.
- They suddenly get a text: Stand down, bitches. Play it my way and Emily stays safe.
- Nurse Mona struts out of the sanitarium. Easily. (Who gave her the badge and uniform?)
- July 20, 2012 Post with Spoiler Photos
- Liars definitely still think Paige is A. Spencer says if they don’t hear from Em or Paige soon, they should tell their parents. They are trying to think positive. Hanna feels bad for Em. Spence says that Paige is just another monster that Alison created.
- Spencer gets an email: Let’s settle this. Alison’s grave. 10PM. Bring Maya’s bag.
(Why did Spencer only get the message? Notice the other messages. Melissa is back and wants to meet for lunch. Em sent Spence an email that day even when she’s ditching calls.)
- We know now that Paige is being set up but the liars still think that Paige is A and wants Em all to herself. There must be something in Maya’s bag that could incriminate A.
- They hear movement in the house. The door knob slowly turns and Caleb walks in. Hanna holds a furry pink lamp for protection. (LOL). They show him A’s message. Caleb is coming with them.
- Ring, ring. Hanna uses Angie’s phone to check on Emily. Em tells her that she’s going out of town with Nate (who she doesn’t really know that well). They will be at Lighthouse Rock Inn (LHRI, sounds familiar).
- Pam walks in and tries to convince Em to stay (I still cannot believe Pam allowed her daughter to go with a stranger). Em tells Pam that she thinks of Crazy Nate as her friend. She is packed and ready to go. (Helloooooo, background check people???)
Rear Window Brew
- Spencer and Hanna are having coffee. Hanna returns Angie’s phone and leaves after setting a time to meet later. 9pm.
- Spencer pays her bill and walks across the street to look at the poster for the Halloween Ghost Train Party. (Live Mystery Musical Guest!) Toby arrives, she runs towards him, and they embrace. (He looks different.) The camera pans exaggerately as they kiss (and I continue to get dizzy, again).
- Memorable Quote: “It’s okay Spencer. I know who you are. You never have to say you’re sorry.”
- Aria hands Ezra tea while he is working. Aria gets a text from Hanna asking if Aria already told Ezra. (Hanna gets Snoop Queen title in this episode)
- Aria tries to talk to a distracted Ezra who only responds with “love you babe.”
- Knock, knock, guess who’s here? (She already knows where he lives. Haha.) Ezra introduces Maggie to Aria. Aria tries to tell Ezra something but Maggie stops her and pretends that it’s the first time they’ve met.
- The three of them are awkwardly chatting in the living room. Another knock and Ezra answers the door. Maggie and Aria (Magria? Argie?) discuss Maggie’s secret. She makes Aria promise not to tell Ezra because she needs time to sort things out. She eventually uses “Amy” as leverage. (Errr? Amy would implicate her). These two look like will get a long really well.
- Ezra walks in with Chocolate Bundt Cake.
- Caleb is stuffing his backpack when Hanna walks in and spots the gun he was hiding. They argue about the gun. He stashes it in her drawer.
- They talk about A, and their plans.
- MonA is dressed in her hoodie, facing a mirror. Ring, ring. She responds with a cheery, “I’m here”. But her mood changes to disappointment after listening to the caller. “I understand,” is all she replies with.
- Spoby are liplocked. Toby whispers, “Are you sure?” to Spencer who responds with “Yes”. And they finally sleep together. (Does Toby still have his tattoo?)
- Nate places a blanket over a napping Emily.
- Hanna gets ready to leave and grabs Maya’s bag
- Caleb secretly takes the gun from the drawer and places it in his pack.
- Maggie and Ezra are chatting happily, too comfortably, over cake as Aria watches them.
- Toby and Spencer walk down the stairs as Toby is getting ready to leave. Spencer asks if Toby took the job at Buck’s County to be away from Spencer. She also asks if he is back. Toby responds with, “I’m exactly where I need to be.” They kiss. (At this point, I start wondering why the Spoby scenes are being dramatically presented.)
- Toby tells Spencer, “I love you.” She reciprocates. They hug and Toby holds an odd expression on his face. (And…ding…ding…ding…this was when the betrayal came to mind. I gasped, and felt extremely sad at the same time).
- Spencer calls Hanna asking if she has Maya’s bag because she is so ready for ‘this’ to be over. (Double innuendo?)
- Mona is looking around. Pictures are everywhere. There’s a creepy doll face mask. Spencer’s Vote Pin. A dollhouse. Photo wall of Ali. Paige’s Photo.
- Mona looks at the mirror where another person wearing a hoodie sits right infront of. She says, “Change of plans.”
- Caleb, Hanna, Spencer, and Aria are standing around Ali’s dug up grave. Caleb is giving Hanna information on the app he placed on her phone. It’s a voice-activated recorder. Spence says Caleb should keep Maya’s bag with him.
- Ring, ring. Em wakes up from her nap and answers the phone. Someone using a voice changer tells her that she has one minute to get out. (It seemed more like a safety warning for her. Was A helping her?) Instead of getting out of the cabin, she looks for Nate.
- It’s 10:40p and they are still waiting. (We now know that A’s plan got messed up.) Paige isn’t there yet. (At this point I started wondering if Nate has her.) Hanna tries to reach Nate but it goes straight to voicemail. She checks on Caleb. Caleb says he hasn’t seen or heard anything. (Ruh-roh)
- Em is looking around. She sees Nate’s bag and starts browsing the contents. The book and card that was meant to be sent to Maya’s parents were still there. She rushes to put them back in the bag when she heard footsteps. Nate walks in with firewood, and starts setting up the fireplace. As he is laying down the wood for burning, Emily notices his shoes.
- Nate tells Em that his parents should arrive in 4 hours. A storm is coming. Em is looking at photos on her phone and finds one that matches Nate’s sneakers. With Maya. The Tru North Stalker! (Ding! Ding!)
- Hanna, Spence and Aria are still trying to figure out where Emily is. They are looking up LHRIs in the area and found two options. Bayhead and Belmar. They think Paige sent them to the cemetery as a decoy. Caleb overhears the discussion on the two locations and gets in his car and starts to drive. He calls Hanna, telling her that he thinks Paige never planned on meeting them. He is headed to Belmar and tells the liars to go to Bayhead. Oddly, he smiles. (Hmmmm)
- The kettle whistles and Nate turns off the burner. Em is still trying to secretly get phone signal. But, obviously, Crazy Nate has different plans. He is still trying to set up a romantic evening with someone who doesn’t want to be with him. Em tells him that she is going out for a walk, and that she needs fresh air. Nate tells her that he’ll go with him. But she wants to be alone. Nate suspiciously turns up at the door and hands her jacket.
- In the woods, Em is walking trying to get a signal when Nate, again, turns up in front of her. She drops her phone and says, “OMG, you scared me half to death.” Crazy Nate has a weird expression on his face, and replies, “Not really, but I will.” (Creepy Stalker!)
- They are back inside the cabin and Nate is making Em watch a video of Maya. In the video, Maya is telling Em why she is staying at Noel Kahn’s cabin. Because she’s been hiding from her Tru North stalker. Maya says he saw him at a party. (Roving party? That means other people saw him. I’m pretty sure other people…other than Jenna…recognize him. They have to.) Nate is slamming a knife into the shelf behind Em. Maya’s last message included her saying that she is coming home and hopes Em still wants to be with her.
- Obviously, Crazy Nate is out in the open. Tru Nate tells Em that he loved Maya and tells Em to “stop looking at him like that.” (Whatever “like that” meant) And he threatens her with a knife.
- Nate tells Em that when he found her at the brew…”hearing you talk about Maya…I felt so connected to her. It’s ironic. You took her from me. And you gave me a little bit of her back.” (Cuckoo)
- Emily asks Crazy Nate if he brought her there to kill her. Nate says that he’s going to do something to her – something that she did to him. He’s taking something from her and let Em watch while he does that. He opens the closet and sees a duck-taped and tied-up, trembling Paige.
- The liars are in the car on their way to Bayhead. Caleb is a couple of miles away from Belmar. Hanna and Caleb are on the phone. Caleb lets out an “I love you”, and Hanna replies the same. (For some reason, Caleb has that look that he knows where exactly he’s going.) He has the gun on the passenger’s seat.
- Demented Nate is recalling their (EmiNate) kiss, while caressing her hair. (Ugh, creepy) He thinks Em played him like Maya. Nate says he have Em a choice and she picked Paige. He moves closer to Paige. Em grabs something from the table. Nate takes Paige and sits her next to Em.
- The liars arrive at the Bayhead LHRI. It looks like it’s been abandoned. But they find a cabin with its lights on.
- Nate is getting ready to slash Paige saying that he wants Em to see him kill her. Em tells him that her friends are on their way. Her mom also knows. They will find Nate. Nate tells her that he has been planning this for months. He has everything covered. He tells her that everyone knows him as the nonexistent Nate St. Germain. Em asks who he really is and the idiot tells her the truth (good job Crazy Nate!). Lyndon James. Em tries to talk him into stopping. Crazy Nate suspects that Jenna saw him with Maya (probably why he was so miffed when he found out Jenna was faking). He also mentions the trial. Time’s up. He must proceed as planned.
- The liars approach the cabin and the floorboards creak as they move closer.
- Crazy Nate and Pailey hear footsteps outside (Which ones? We are about to find out!). Nate lets go of Paige and checks through the windows. He curses, then turns around to see that Em is gone. He runs out, after her.
- The liars enter the cabin. It’s empty. Hanna calls Caleb.
- Em is running. She heads towards the lighthouse and climbs up. She tries to move around searching for cell signal but gets nothing. She hears a creak and turns. She dials 911, waiting for a signal and finally gets connected but Nate finds her! She drops her phone and struggles against Nate as he tries to hurt her…kill her! Em reaches for the knife he dropped. Crazy Nate continues to beat her senseless and Em forces the knife in him. Em is shaking as Nate drops to the floor. Caleb arrives and finds her shaking, crying holding the knife. He puts down the gun on the ledge, grabs and hugs her as she drops the knife to the floor. Nate is not moving on the floor.
- The scene shifts, showing the lighthouse from the outside. Next thing you hear is gun fire and the lights are out.
LHRI Belmar: Opening Scene Revisited
- Aria, Hanna, and Spencer are watching as an injured Caleb is carried on a stretcher, and reeled into an ambulance. The ambulance drives off . Hanna is frantic.
- A second stretcher with a body bag is loaded into another ambulance and drives away.
- Emily and Paige are individually interviewed.
- Cop asks Em if the deceased was a friend of hers.
- Paige is telling the cops about the anonymous text she got: 10PM Rosewood Cemetery or else Emily gets hurt. (I really need to see the full text message for me to believe this) Paige says, “He got me before I got there.”
- Em replies to the cop: Yes, yes…when asked also if she knew the victim and the deceased was her friend. She is looking over to where the liars are.
- Paige sees her looking at them. Em tells the cops that she can’t do this right now. Paige moves in and distracts the cops so Em can go over to her friends.
- Emily runs over to them and hugs Hanna, says she is sorry. Hanna is still bawling. Paige turns and looks at Spencer who is looking at her.
- Liars are waiting. Mrs. Fields walks over to them to let them know that Caleb is still in surgery. Then, she is paged away from the liars.
- As soon as Pam Fields leaves, the liars get a call. Using a voice changer, A says, “Emily, I owe you one.”
- Mrs. Fields returns and tells them there was no one there calling for her.
- Veronica Hastings arrives, with Garrett. Garrett is out of jail. (Why are they at the hospital?) She goes over to the liars and tells Em that because of her “an innocent man” is now free. (Garrett. Innocent. Yeah, right.)
- Garrett turns, looks at the liars and smiles.
- Nurse MonA and A2 are walking towards Radley. She says that if she knew that Nate was going to get Garrett out, she would’ve stayed “home”. (Is that an A Team clue? They wanted Garrett out because he’s part of the team? I think so.) She tells A2 that they need to get back Maya’s phone. Paige doesn’t even know she has it. They were planning to set up Paige by calling her when she gets to the cemetery and meet the liars. Obviously, the liars will think she killed Maya. (So, A1 and A2 didn’t know Nate killed Maya. Did Main A know?)
- MonA says, “Even the best laid plans go awry.”
- She heads back into Radley and tells A2, “I’ll see you soon.”
- Hooded A2 turns around and the betrayer is revealed. TOBY. (Everyone is either gasping, speechless, crying, or angry at this point). Yes, Toby is the Betrayer.
- Toby takes the poster from the Ali poster board (It wasn’t there earlier!). He calls in for two tickets.
- Did Jenna leave because of Nate? Where did she go? How did she know/remember Nate?
- Where is Lucas?
- Where is Holden?
- Where is Mike?
- Where is Jason?
- Where is Wren?
- Why are all the guys missing?
- What are Toby’s true intentions and motives?
- Person who texts them is not a sub-A (A Team member) but could possibly be main A. Or, at least, not the two that we know.
- A2 might have been revealed but does that mean that he has been the one torturing the girls post S2? Or someone else? Is he just taking over? Is that why there’s an upcoming truce?
- It would be nice if they have a PLL Special as a tie-in episode, to relate which A did what.
- When/Where/How did Paige get kidnapped?
- Who is Main/Big A?