Kahn, not Khan. Yes, we’re not talking about Squash. Or Genghis.
Ok, let’s play. The details in this episode are humongous. The recap is in chronological order, unlike the other entries. I think the flow is important in this episode.
Thoughts and comments are inline in (red parenthesis), and at the end of the entry.
- Location: The Brew. Spencer appears upset, distracted but Aria asks her to take a look at the photo (on her phone) she found in Maya’s website (It’s the Eye of Providence Stamp!). Spence is unconcerned and worries more about applying for college. Early admissions deadline is up and she found her application beneath her pile of homework. And, uh-oh, Spence got a B! She says that she is dropping her Velma Dinkley act and is switching to Daphne Blake. (Oookay) Cece arrives at the café and sees them asking if the phone left at the counter is one of theirs (Good job, Aria). Guess who went to UPenn? Spence brightens up and asks if she knew anyone she could talk to. Cece mentions a party tonight & a guy named Steven who now works for admissions at UPenn. However, she wasn’t planning to go to the party. (Yeah, right. Why bring it up then?) Spence pulls out her lost puppy face and convinces (like she needs convincing) Cece to take them. They meet at 7p, outside the boutique.
- Location Marin House. Ashley Marin gets a visit from the police. The court order for Hanna’s blood sample came through and she has 5 days to comply. Hanna is unaware, upstairs. Ashley makes a call to Veronica Hastings.
- Location: School Hallway. Haleb spot eachother across the hall (<insert music here>). Hanna walks over to her locker and Caleb heads towards her (Caleb is back to dirty-hair-days). Caleb looks for Spence and asks Hanna to give Spence a folded post-it note with the updated credentials to Maya’s website. Hanna asks about his mom. Caleb asks how she was doing. As Caleb walks away, Hanna gets a text: “The Apple Rose Grille at closing time. Go alone or Caleb pays. –A” (That doesn’t sound like A.)
- Location: Courtyard. Hanna shows Spencer the text & discuss it. Spencer then asks if Wren has said anything as to how Mona is doing. Hanna uneasily says that she hasn’t talked to him since then. Spence reverts the conversation back to the text and tells Hanna she can’t go. It’s not safe. She makes Hanna promise that she won’t be going. They spot Em & Paige having a happy conversation. Hanna says she hasn’t seen Em smile that way since Maya. They haven’t told her anything about the website—yet. They say she deserves to be happy at the moment. Em & Paige approach them and they say nothing.
- Location: Ezra’s Apartment. Aria (What is she wearing???Is it Halloween already???) arrives and overheards Ezra arguing with someone. The other person says that he just wants Ezra to be happy and he should take the offer. He exits the room and sees Aria. Ezra refuses to introduce her and makes him leave. He then tells Aria that that was Wesley, his brother…In the apartment, Aria asks about the offer and Ezra again refuses to say anything. Aria asks him how much his mom offered to pay him to break up with her. Ezra asks why she would ask that. Aria tells him because she offered it to her first. Ezra is angry: “The other day at the museum, my mother offered you money to break up with me?!” Aria tells him that’s what she came to tell him. She then asks why his brother came by. Ezra says that he came by to help him buy back the car he sold. Aria asks why, Ezra replies, “It’s complicated.” Apparently, the jaguar was not his to sell since he disowned his inheritance, everything defaulted to his brother. When his mom found out, she says that it had sentimental value. Now, he needs to buy the car back but the guy he sold it to wants him to pay double. Ezra says he needs to borrow money from his mother…and suddenly decides he needs to go and meet someone about the car. Now. (Hmmm)
- Location: School. Hanna gets a call from Wren but declines it. Em runs after her and they talk about Maya’s website. Hanna fesses up and tells her. Em is asking why they kept it from her. Hanna explains that they just want her to be happy. Em says that she doesn’t appreciate being lied to. Hanna hands Em the note meant for Spencer. She offers to join her but Em says she wants to view it alone.
- Location: Outside Hastings & Riebman. Ashley steps out the law offices of Hastings and Riebman. She sees Ted but keeps walking. Ted sees her and calls after her, asking to meet her for coffee sometime. Ashley says yes and when they walk away, they do the whole “if he stops and looks back he’s totally into you” thing. (Hehehe)
- Location: Spencer’s Room. Aria is lying down on Spencer’s bed (with her shoes on, yuck!) talking about Ezra kicking her out. Spence is sorting through her clothes, getting ready for the party…and says, “These are my most collegiate looking blazers.” (Yikes) Aria is going with her. They talk about Cece and wonder why Ali never introduced her to them. Topic switches back to Ezra. Spence says she empathizes and tells her about her Nana offering her $200 to shave her father’s sideburns while he was sleeping (LOL). And she did it. She was 10. And she’d do it again. (LOL, this was nice, seeing them talk about other things)
- Location: Outside the Party. Cece pulls up with Spencer and Aria in her red convertible (Red is the new black!). They realize where they are: Kahn Cabin. So perhaps these parties are indeed hosted by the Kahns. The liars mention Noel and Cece asks if ‘douche-bag run in the family”. Then, she asks if something’s wrong. Aria says, just weird history with Noel. Spence blurts out that Aria & Spencer used to date & before Aria could correct her, Cece says that there are hundreds of guests and it is unlikely they will run into them (Uh-huh). She reminds them that they’re there to get Spence’s stuff done. At the gate, Cece gets cleared and the girls get stamped! (Eye of Providence=The All Seeing Eye. NAT??? Nos Animadverto Totus=We See All)
- Location: At Party In the Cabin In The Woods: Spence is panicking about her application while Aria tries to point out the stamp. Then, Spence starts to wonder what would Maya be doing at the party since most of the invitees are older. (Question: How long has Jenna been going to this party? And has she been acting blind then? When did she reveal that she can actually see?)…Someone spills her drink on Spence’s envelope. Panic strikes. Again. Cece takes the envelope from Spence saying that they need to meet Steven before showing the application to his face. Cece then tells them to go with her to the Game Room.
- Location: Em’s Room: Alone, Emily is going through the videos on Maya’s website. Crying.
- Location: Game Room: Cece tells them that Eric Kahn is still playing Truth or Dare. Eric sees Cece, who he says he hasn’t seen in a while. Cece tells Eric to be nice & that Sparia are her ducklings. Eric tells them that there’s only one rule in the Game Room: You have to play to stay. Cece tells them Steven is not there yet and tells them to chill. (Really? Is he an actual person?) Cece challenges Eric to a game of Truth (I smell setup). Like fishes in an aquarium, people are watching as the two start the game. Eric fires the first question but Cece is ready, with her game face on, and easily replies “Ali-style” (or is this actually Cece style?)
- Location: Marin House. Hanna stares at the text message at her phone. It’s 8:30pm. She gets ready to leav & tells Ashley that she made dinner plans with Aria. Ashley says that she is about to make dinner (that late?). Hanna says Ashley only cooks when she needs to tell her something. Ashley tells Hanna about the court order but VH is on it. Hanna leaves. Ash calls Ted.
- Location: Game Room, playing the Kahn Game. Cece & Eric are definitely enjoying the banter. Spencer and Aria see Noel & Jenna enter the game Room. They approach the two and Aria challenges Noel to a game of truth. (Where was Noel before this? Why isn’t he in school? How long has he known that Jenna could see?)
- Location: Outside the Grille. Hanna is waiting outside the Apple Rose Grill (whose name is quite similar to April Rose, conveniently). Caleb arrives and Hanna asks him to leave. Caleb refuses to leave telling her that he sent the text…that he’s A (LOL). Caleb, obviously, set her up to see if there was another A tormenting her. She gets in the car and they park & talk by an alley. Hanna starts telling him everything, including about his mom.
- Location: Game Room. It’s Aria’s and Noel’s turn. Aria is on a roll. Noel’s answers are indirect. Aria is definitely a master liar. Aria asks where Noel was on the night Ali’s grave was dug up. He can’t find the words to reply, and stutters. Eric vouches for Noel’s alibi—that he was in the cabin that night. (Was the party at the cabin then? I thought it was supposed to be a roving party?). Eric says that Noel & Jenna were at the cabin…they came and left. Eric seems to be fond of Jenna…not. Noel is annoyed at Eric’s response but thanks him. Jenna tells Eric: “You know I can see you now” (Ha! So they didn’t know either.) Noel starts getting personal and baits her with questions whose answers can compromise Ezra. The last question was who Aria’s boyfriend is and he did for a living during the first few months of their relationship. Aria hesitates. Jenna says, “that’s alright because they all know.” Beep, beep. Time’s up. Eric’s timer goes off. (Was he actually saving Aria?) Spencer tells Jenna that she is next!
- Location: Outside the cabin. Aria walks out of the game room, followed by Spencer, and heads towards the entrance way. Aria is worried that she may have gotten Ezra in trouble. She is teary-eyed. Spence wants to stay and ask more questions. Cece finds them and pretends to be worried at how “vicious” it got in there. She then proceeds to tell Aria how much prettier she is than Jenna (180-Personality Change Alert). Then, she faces Spencer and warns her that Jenna is planning to leave. If she wants to “play”, she needs to move quick. Spencer heads over to the game room (where did Cece go?)…and Aria calls Ezra. Wesley picks up and says that Ezra is being “detained”—the “dude” who bought the jag wanted to meet. Aria wants to get picked up. Wes offers to leave a message for her and asks for the address. (Wes is at Ezra’s while Ezra is not in the apartment. I thought Ezra did not want him in his apartment?)
- Location: Marin House: Ashley is having dinner with Ted when she gets a call from the Rosewood Police Dept. Wilden!
- Location: Cabin. Jenna is worried about Spencer. She says she doesn’t want to get bullied by her (the bully doesn’t want to get bullied, awww). Spencer arrives at the Game Room. She is on a mission!
- Location: Em’s Room. Em is still watching Maya’s Vlogs. Wallowing. Paige suddenly arrives and sees her watching the videos.
- Location: Game Room. Truth with Spence & Jenna. Jenna is on the offensive about Garrett & Melissa. Spencer is definitely not fazed. She asks about THAT NIGHTàwhat else Jenna lied about. Jenna is uneasy and looks at Cece. Cece somehow reacts (not sure what that reaction was exactly but she seemed uneasy as well).
Questions are fired but not are getting answered. Obviously, Noel & Jenna know more about that night. Jenna asks if Spencer understands about MUTUAL DESTRUCTION and reminds her of her promise. Jenna tells Spencer that she found Emily at the diner and not at the middle of the road as she said. She lied because she was protecting someone (Who??? Cece?). Jenna asks about the video. Spencer says, “I want to know where Ali’s body is. If you can tell me that, you can have all the damn videos you want.”
- Location: Outside the cabin. Guess who picks up Aria? Yup, the “dude” Wesley. Aria’s not happy but she jumps in the car anyway. Wes then asks if they can grab a bite on their way back.
- Location: Alleyway. Haleb are still together, discussing A. Caleb really wants in. He says they can keep checking Maya’s website for clues. What if someone they’re really close to is doing this? Another Mona? Is Hanna prepared for that? Hanna is frustrated. But Caleb is decided. He’s helping stop A, without her permission. Kiss, kiss—-and they’re back together.
- Location: Game Room. Spencer has been looking for Cece and finds her flirting with the douche-bag. Cece responds to Spencer, but she appears annoyed (for someone who didn’t want to go to this party). Spencer accuses Cece of manipulating her. There is no Steven and she wants her application back. Cece claims that she saw Steven and gave him her application. They also had a nice chat about how smart Spencer is. (LOL, the Ali ‘semblance is impeccable) Spencer seems to have believed her (sigh) and asks if they can leave now. Cece agrees but she appears annoyed.
- Location: Marin House. Ashley is on the phone thanking VH while Ted is washing the dishes. She goes to the kitchen and apologizes for ruining the evening and explain what’s going on—that a deranged cop is set on blaming Hanna for a crime she did not commit. Then, they start opening up more about eachother. As Ted motions to plant a kiss on her cheek, Ashley tilts her head and they end up kissing. The camera pans towards the centerpiece’s candle light. (What does that mean??? Is Mommy Marin the village bicycle???)
- Location: Car. Wes tries to explain that he’s just trying help Ezra out. Aria is angry at their family trying to manipulate other people’s lives by throwing money at them. Wes thinks Aria knows everything already about Ezra and proceeds to talk about Maggie. The girl Ezra got pregnant when he was younger but Mommy Fitz took care of it by paying her off. Aria is startled by the news. Wes realizes that Ezra hasn’t told her about Maggie.
- Location: Em’s Room. Em tells Paige she is sorry but she is trying to move on. She tells her that she just knew about the website. Paige starts telling her a story about her grandfather that brings a smile to Em’s face. Hug, hug. Paige understands. Em says that she just doesn’t want to keep hurting.
- Location: Ezra’s apartment. Aria waits for Ezra outside his apartment (where is Wes???). Ezra arrives and apologizes saying that he left his cellphone at home. Aria says she knows. She called because she wanted him to come and get her but Wes picked up. She also tells Ezra that Wes told her about Maggie. Ezra asks her to come inside and talk but Aria doesn’t want to and wants to know what happened first (really? In the hallway where everyone else can hear?). Ezra is angry at Wes for telling her. Aria is angry that they have been keeping secrets from eachother. Ezra gives in and tells her: He got her pregnant the summer after highschool graduation. They were just 18. Mrs. Fitzgerald handled it by paying her off. The terms of the money included them not talking to eachother. After that, Ezra transferred to Hollis & changed his name to Fitz. After being told, Aria agrees to come inside his apartment.
- Location: Spencer’s Room. Spence is finally at home and calls Toby and tells him she misses him. Then, she gets an email from UPenn stating that they received her application and it is going to be reviewed for early admission. (Really? That quick? After the party? At that time? Really?)
- A’s Antics: Gloved hand is at Ms. Pillsbury’s office waiting. Ms. Pillsbury goes through her box of keys and says that she found the keys to Unit A.
- Definitely thinking about the twin theory again. The twin might be the Big A, who is manipulating, controlling, and blackmailing the “A Team”. Although the A Team may have ulterior motives as to why they are doing what they are to the liars, the main plots against the liars are actually from Big A.
- On A’s antics, do you think this is a new person or someone just moving in Rosewood? Or is this person just establishing a new lair?
- Who gets to betray them in the summer finale? Cece?
- Next episode, the liars get trapped by A!!!