Who do you think is crazier, Mona or Cece?
The episode begins with the following preliminary storylines:
- Hanna gets a visit from Wilden, who accuses her of killing Ali based on the evidence taken from the anklet. The 2nd blood sample is of the same type as Hanna’s: O Negative. Wilden wants a blood sample from Hanna. (Ashley is at a conference, Hanna is home alone.)
- Before school, the liars walk to the café and discuss Hanna’s problem: that A may be setting her up. (If Mona had the motive as A to torture Hanna the most, does the new Big A have a bigger motive? Of is Hanna, simply, an easy target?) The liars also discuss Jason’s involvement in turning in the evidence. Hanna decides to ditch the café and head over to school.
- The girls arrive at The Brew (café) and overhear someone at the counter who sounded so much like Ali. She turns around, they introduce themselves. Cece Drake, also a friend of Ali’s (as some of us already know, Ali’s mentor). She spent summers with Ali’s family at Cape May. One specific summer, she referred to as an intense two weeks. Ali was going through a rough time…and referred to her as “like a broken doll.” Cece mentions that she dated Jason, and that Ali talked about her friends—a lot. She informs the girls that she works at the boutique and is happy to turn the other way when someone wants to do some free shopping. (Hmmm). When Cece leaves the café, they discuss how Ali and Cece are “freakishly alike”.
To Cougar or not to cougar
- Aria brings Ella’s bills to her classroom. She has her open garment bag displayed by a coat rack (Seriously?). Ella has a date, from that online dating website, and seems really excited about it.
- After school, dressed in Fuschia and Black, Ella goes to the Brew and flirts with the guy behind the counter while she waits for her date. Her date arrives…it’s Ted! And they head out for ice cream.
- Ted and Ella, on their “date” are sitting by the bench chatting over ice cream. Ella keeps looking at his cup, and how he’s eating his ice cream. (Somehow makes me want to cringe.)
- After an unsuccessful date, Ella returns to the brew looking for Emily who might be with Aria. The guy behind the counter is still there and asks Ella about her date. He offers her pastries so that her “night ends on a sweet note.” (I want pastries now. And, J said to me: “He’s giving her food. He’s a keeper!” I agree! I agree!). They continue to flirt. He reveals that he owns the café and entices her to stay. He introduces himself as Zach.
- Ella decides to stay and calls Aria who is at home with Hanna. She tells her about her failed date—that Ted ate ice cream like Byron. She then says that she’s on a second date…and says that she is ready and open for more possibilities. She’s done with scarves!
Snoop Queen Spencer
- Outside school, researches Cece and plots events in Ali’s life. (Definitely a snoop queen, an organized one as well.) Toby arrives and they argue about why Spencer and Hanna lied to him. Spencer tells him about her and Jason finding the anklet. Toby points out that evidence can be distorted and reminds her that he used to be a victim to that.
- Later, Spencer calls after Jason who is jogging from a basketball game. The siblings discuss what consequences came after turning over the anklet. Jason thinks he is in more trouble now. We find out that Kenneth DiLaurentis is coming back to Rosewood. Spencer also mentions Cece to Jason. According to Jason, “Everything with Cece is intense.” Jason is done looking for answers (so he says).
- Later that night, Spencer sees Jason driving, drunk, and crashes his car. She leaps out of her vehicle, leaves the lights on and door wide open and “rescues” her brother by driving him home.
- At home, Spencer finds Toby waiting for her and asks him to drive her to her car. Wilden arrives and says that they found her car with the door open. Toby gives Spence an alibi saying that they were together all afternoon/evening. Wilden leaves. Spencer explains everything to Toby and asks him not to tell anyone.
Em, Nate, Jenna, Maya, and Cece. Yay.
- Em is at the brew working her shift when an awkward Nate arrives (folks, we need a better character here). Nate brings out a lousy gift—a candle—for Jenna, which annoys Emily. We find out a few things: (1) Nate & Jenna are going on a date, (2) Jenna told Nate that she is good friends with Emily, (3) And Maya. Obviously, Em is surprised.
- Em and Nate are at the boutique where Cece works, shopping for a gift for Jenna. While Nate checks out the scarves, Cece & Em talk about Jenna…and Nate. Cece realizes that Em is not interested in Nate…and that she was the one who had the huge crush on Ali. Nate spots the same earrings Em gave Maya and remembers it. Nate somehow also mentions that he likes Em. (Mrrrrp)
- Later, Em follows Cece’s advice and tells Nate about Jenna and Garrett dating. Her intentions clearly unnoticed, Nate is still planning on continuing on meeting Jenna & thanks Em for her honesty.
- Much later, Em runs into Cece who asks about Nate. After finding out that Em’s plan had failed, Cece manipulates Em by saying that she (Cece) should give Em her cell. What she did was take Jenna’s phone number, calls her, and threatens her about Nate. Em is clearly shocked. (What’s in it for Cece?)
- On her way home, Em spots Nate waiting for Jenna who seems to have ditched him.
Hanna and Aria, and MonA
- These two go to Hanna’s home after school and spots the Ouija board on the kitchen counter table. A was in her house! Again! The letter A was also encircled in red marker. Hanna panics and grabs the Pointer, then cuts herself. Underneath the pointer, it says: “SEE HOW EASY IT IS FOR ME TO GET YOUR BLOOD?” Hanna continues to panic and Aria asks her why the board is important. After much grumbling, Hanna tells her that she and Mona used the board before the cops found Ali’s body. The pointer was Hanna’s item included in Ali’s coffin. Flashback: Mona and Hanna are in the kitchen. It was a dark & stormy night (LOL). Mona asks: Do you know what happened to Alison DiLaurentis? Reply: ALIVE.
Lightning flashes and Hanna spots Ali outside by her patio.
- Aria thinks Mona might have hired someone to plant the board in her home. Only Mona knows about that night. They don’t know who else she told. Aria is determined to get answers from Mona. Someone throws a flower pot by the patio door. (Do you think Mona was already A when they played the Ouija board?)
- Aria visits Mona and talks to her in the common room. (Mona is definitely at a different level of crazy.) Mona starts talking about building foundations. Aria mentions that Hanna couldn’t make it, which queues Mona to ask the nurse to get her meds. They have a few seconds to discuss. Aria tells her about the board and tries to get info from Mona but runs out of time. Mona tells Aria to pass on a message to Hanna…that she’s sorry.
- Hanna meets with Spencer to discuss VH blocking the court order for Hanna’s blood sample.
- Hanna spots Kenneth DiLaurentis and waits for him. She approaches him, apologizing for things in the past but he is clearly really angry at Hanna for something she did.
- Aria runs into Hanna outside Radley. She tells her that she didn’t get info other than the message Mona wanted to tell her. Hanna plans to sneak back in Radley, and Aria is going with her.
- Back in Radley, Hanna and Aria go see Mona in her cell (err, room). Hanna enters the room first, alone, and tells her that KD is back. Aria enters the room and Mona starts dishing out clues on Hanna’s secret surrounding the Ouija Night. Aria asks and Hanna starts telling her. Flashback: Mona and Hanna are looking at a missing poster of Ali’s. Mona invents a code they can use when they don’t want anyone else to know what they’re talking about. The code works by taking the first letter of each word to spell the message. KD arrives and rushes at them, furious at Hanna. Hanna apparently called up Ali’s mom and told her she saw Ali.
- (That flashback was so intense that they missed Mona’s escape. LOL). Mona stealthily leaves her room and Hanna & Aria go try and find her. They track her down in the Children’s Ward (Sigh, dolls again).
- In the Children’s Ward, Mona is humming as she brushes the hair of creepy dolls. When the girls arrive, she mutters, “Ms. Aria you’re a killer not Ezra’s wife. Where were we? Maya’s away sleeping sweet, until Garrett’s all rosy count on me. No one to save Ali from evil.” (Obviously in code, but double innuendo???) They try to get more info from her but she keeps repeating the line. (And I kept replaying the scene.) The girls hide and leave as the nurse come for Mona. Mona says, “I missed my dolls.”
- At home, after Aria calls her mom a slut, they get ready for bed. Hanna picks up a creepy doll, still thinking about their visit with Mona.
- The clock strikes 11:38p and Mona’s voice echoes in Hanna’s mind. The liars meet up and Hanna figures out that Mona was speaking in code. She explains it to them as they decode the message:
- Ms. Aria you’re a killer not Ezra’s wife. MAYA KNEW
- Where were we? Maya’s away sleeping sweet, until Garrett’s all rosy count on me. www.massugar.com (Maya’s website of hidden treasures?)
- No one to save Ali from evil. Not Safe (Mona knew she was being recorded?)
- Gloved hand is at the Children’s Ward and decapitates a creepy doll. Inside, A takes out a recorder and plays the conversation between Mona, Hanna, and Aria.
- Coincidentally, A was travelling then was looking for Room for Rent – as Cece returns to Rosewood and suddenly finds herself employed locally.
- So, is Mona changing sides? Did she know she was being recorded?
- Is Cece trying to be closer to the liars?
- Will the liars be contacting Caleb to get into the website?