The first time I heard the episode title, two things came to mind: Jenna, and this song. Notes, if not summarized at the bottom of this entry, will be in parens.
The summary is grouped by event, and somehow chronologically. Ok, let’s go. Liar, liar, pants on fire!
Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
- The episode opens with the liars leaving Em’s house, discussing Hanna (Haleb). Notable quote from Spencer, possibly a clue: “A does not feel like a highschool girl playing games.” They notice an ambulance at the Reynold’s residence and witness Garrett’s mom being carried via stretcher. A hoodie is spotted in the background. When trying to figure out why A would do this, Spencer says, “Maybe A wanted her out of the house.”
The Ezria Connection
- Although from spoilers, we already know that E is getting a new gig soon, Aria is trying to ‘help’ Ezra by buying him food, which makes him feel belittled.
- Aria witnesses Lucas freaking out outside the photo-studio of one of her mentors. He is yelling at someone and asking for “his stuff”.
- At school, Em sees Paige and invites her to watch a movie. The conversation feels awkward since last I recall, Paige tried to kiss Em and Em wasn’t too happy about it. We also confirm that Em was somehow avoiding her. Nonetheless, they set a date.
Eye See Jenna
- Jenna is healed! Yippee. Hmmm. She “comes out” and reveals to everyone at school that she can now see (with a lie to back that up, of course) and is handing invites to her birthday party.
- Apropos, according to Em that she has just been miraculously healed just in time for her birthday. Each liar gets an invite. When confronted about her ‘change of plans’, Jenna replies, “I feel a lot safer when I’m charge of what happens to me.”
- Spence and Em (same time they see Jenna at school) talk about Lucas—wherein Aria has filled them in about the studio incident she witnessed. Alas, they have un-glee-fied Lucas (a bit).
- After witnessing Mrs. Reynolds ambulance escapade, Spencer digs for more info from her mom’s tablet & finds out that Garrett was given permission to visit his mom at the hospital. Em is angry but Spence thinks it’s an opportunity to do some investigation on their own. Spence also thinks that A is responsible for “freeing” Garrett that day.
Church Rummaging Hanna
- Hanna ditches school as she wallows over her breakup. Ashley tells her to join her work group in volunteering at the Church Rummage Sale. Hanna agrees, pretends to go to school, but then returns back home. In sweats.
Em At Work
- Jenna is at the Café meeting her photographer when Em’s manager, first ASKS her if she can help out with the event. He starts out being nice and threatens her that if she wants to keep her job, she must be there. (Really? That’s not legal)
- Em eavesdrop while she serves Jenna and Laurrel (photographer, Aria’s mentor). We find out the story behind Laurell’s assistant (Lucas) who was fired for using studio equipment and supplies for personal reasons. Laurell is holding on to Lucas’ stuff until his parents pay back what he owes her in supplies.
- Nate comes charging into the café looking for Em, angry and freaking out about Garrett’s temporary visitation rights. (One, this reaction is too selfish. He visits Em at her workplace not respecting the fact that she may get fired for his outbursts. Two, I thought he was already complaining about how the town keeps focusing on Maya’s death – which I thought was another selfish reaction and now he’s pissed off because a suspect is given a chance to visit his ailing mom. Not that I am siding with Garrett, but what happened to innocent til proven guilty. I am not liking this character at all.)
- When Laurell leaves, Jenna approaches Nate and starts flirting with him. Presumably, handing him an invite to her birthday party as well.
- Aria talks to Spence about Ezra’s reaction and gets a witty reply from Spence (who I think usually has the best lines in the series), “Every time you ‘baby squirrel’ Ezra, you’re taking away his nuts.” Super.
- They also find out that Ezra got an invitation to Jenna’s party.
- Spencer, whilst talking to Aria, keeps trying to break into her mom’s email.
Flasks and Flashbacks
- Em & Paige talk about their movie date and reschedule due to Jenna’s party. Em tests out her server uniform and Paige helps her with the tie. Apparently, Paige also received an invite to the party. (Ok, so let’s just say everyone got invited)
- Paige sees Em’s flask and Em decides to give it to her to rid of her bad memories. The flask is not empty, and Paige takes it.
Huddling with Hanna
- Spencer and Aria are visiting Hanna to find out how she’s doing, sweats et al.
- They also get updates from one another about certain events that just happened and are about to happen.
- H tells them that she will be at the Church Rummage Sale. Em will be working the party. Spence will be sleuthing at the hospital. Aria will be tracking down Laurell for more info on Lucas.
- They all think that Lucas was the one who took photos of them at the graveyard. Or at least, printed them.
- They also discuss the coincidence of Garrett’s visit and Jenna’s birthday.
- Other than that, Aria seems to REALLY want to go to the pArty.
Church Rummage Sale (CRS)
- Ashley checks on Hanna who really wants to leave. (Leave and go where and do what?). Ashley leaves her alone in search for food and ends up in a flirting match with Ted, Mr. Volunteer Coordinator.
Night of the mAdhAtter pArty
- Aria is on the phone with Spence discussing her plans on investigating at the party. She’s at Ezra’s place. Ezra then tells her about dinner plans he made for them but Aria really wants to go to the party. They compromise because Aria uses the “history” card. Excitedly, Ezra (nuts back) hands Aria a roloflex. Kiss, kiss. Then, they leave for the party.
- Spencer is at the hospital spying on Garrett. She’s on the phone with Em while she watches Garrett write a note for the flowers he brought her. Spencer runs into creepy Wilden who talks about the missing body and asks why Spencer is at the hospital. He says that she used to be a much better liar. (IMO, Spence has always been the worst liar in the group and nothing has changed.)
- At the pArty, Jenna is having a blast having her photo taken with her guests. Most of them are wearing funky hats, as per her theme. Paige arrives and runs into Em. They watch Nate arrive and Paige asks about Nate. Em tells her that he is Maya’s cousin and Paige starts acting weird.
- Back at the CRS Hanna sees a box get dumped for the rummage sale. She finds Em’s gray jacket and stashes it into her bag. Ted approaches her, thinking she might want to steal it (I’m sure her shoplifting days are over but she seems to do these unconsciously now). H pays Ted a $20 and calls Em about the jacket.
- At the party, Em is still working and Nate tells her about last minute change of plans. (Yeah, right). Obviously, Nate likes Jenna. Em warns Nate. From afar, Paige watches them talk and reacts by pouring the contents of the flask into her drink.
- Ezria arrive and Jenna welcome them. Oddly enough, Jenna has a weird reaction. (Some might say that she reacted as if she didn’t know about Ezria, or because they—Ezra & Jenna have known about Jenna’s secret way before the revelation). Aria spots Laurell and says that she is amazing. Jenna comments that she doesn’t trust amateurs to capture every moment of the party.
- Aria approaches Laurell and tells her about the Roloflex. Aria finds out that they are not cheap (and probably starts to wonder where Ezra got the money to pay for it). Laurell rushes and tells Aria that she needs to get back to work since she is flying solo tonight. Aria asks why, and of course, Laurell tells all. Aria then tells her that she is interested in the open position.
- In the Kitchen, Em & Paige talk. Paige asks about Nate again. Paige is annoyed (eh?). Aria barges in looking for Laurell and Paige leaves. Aria looks for Laurell stuff and pours ice tea on Laurell’s memory cards (Hmmm, I didn’t think they were that sensitive. They should still work after wiping them off. They pretty sealed off.).
- Toby visits Spencer saying that he wanted to escape from the party scene. They talk about how Jenna faked and wondered how no one else seems to notice. Toby talks about how Jenna phased it in with her parents –that she started seeing shadows and kept quiet because she was worried that her vision might just go again. Kiss, kiss. Change scene.
- At the party, a drunken/doped up Paige is going through tasting the cupcakes and spitting them back. Jenna is miffed and approaches her. Em arrives and tries to assist Paige who goes on an outburst and falls flat on the ground. Nate helps and rushes her to the hospital.
- Nate and Em are waiting at the hospital when Hanna arrives. Em asks Nate to get coffee so that H and her could talk. Hanna takes out the jacket and Em verifies that it’s hers. Hanna suddenly gets a text from her mom and heads back to the church.
- Nate comes back and asks about Hanna. Em witnesses Wilden and texts the liars.
- At the party, Aria is walking around frantically as Ezra watches her. Em’s manager is there and is annoyed that Em had to leave. In the kitchen, Ezra confronts Aria and asks her what is going on. Ezra is really miffed, and confused. And acting weirdly. Ezra wants to leave because he wants to go dinner and Aria and her kinda argue because she thinks it’s a dinner he couldn’t afford. Then, Ezra blurts out that it was meant to be a celebration because he found a job. Aria thinks it’s the Editing job.
- Laurell gets into the kitchen and sees her soaked up memory cards. Aria offers to grab her cards from her studio since they are just across the street. Aria heads over to the studio and snoops around, taking more than what she needs. As she exits, Lucas confronts her wanting to get in the studio when Ezra conveniently and extremely coincidentally arrives to “save” her. Lucas runs away.
- At the hospital, Nate asks about Paige and Em tells him they used to date (in between Maya – although I really would like confirmation as to which episodes these were in).
- Spencer arrives. Nate sees Garrett and goes after him, while the cops try to stop him. Later, a cop writes Nate a ticket.
- Paige walks out saying that she just had a few stitches. (Uh, where?). She says her tox screen say that she wasn’t drunk but was drugged up with traces of Milizopam. Em gets her flask back and gets an aha moment.
- Spencer gets into the ICU (really?) room where they keep Garrett’s mom and checks the note in the flowers and finds nothing suspicious. Then, she notices a note hidden under the medical bracelet and reads it: April Rose Has The Proof.
- Aria is at Ezra’s place looking at the negatives as she talks to Em on the phone. Em is online doing some research on Milizopam. At the same time, Aria finds 3 of the pills in Lucas’ film capsule.
- A gloved hand, which appears to be of a female, goes through Maya’s bag and takes out a bottle prescription of a two-toned drug.
- The story did little to substantiate the title. I really liked the title and hoped that more interesting stuff happened at the party.
- Ezra has been acting really weird in this episode—Yippee!
- Although the title brings back memories of the 1990 Bell Biv Devoe release, I leave you with a more visual version of the song: